07/14/2018 12:26 AM
Around the Horn - July 14
• Riley MacDonald has left the Brooks Bombers and the WMBL to join the Quebec Capitals of the Canadian American Association of Professional baseball.
MacDonald set a league record with 20 home runs in 2018. He also hit 3.62 with 13 doubles, 49 RBI and 12 walks.
• Corey Wheaton of the Weyburn Beavers leads the WMBL with 22 stolen bases.
• It’s Terry Puhl Recognition Weekend in Melville. on Saturday Terry Puhl will be at the Tim Hortons Tailgate Party at Pirie Field prior to the game.
The Melville born Terry Puhl played most of his Major League career with the Houston Astros. Puhl is a member of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and is presently the head coach of University of Houston–Victoria's baseball team.
• Bull’s starter Andrew Grieder has the most strikeouts in the WMBL with 52.
• On July 20 Ron Kittle will be in Edmonton to celebrate the Trappers Nostalgia Night. With former MLB hitter Ron Kittle in the park this promises to be an exciting evening of baseball and baseball history.
• With Friday’s win over Fort McMurray, The Medicine Hat Mavericks became the first team to clinch a WMBL playoff spot.
• Edmonton’s Percy Liu and Regina’s Riley Hickerson lead the WMBL with three triples each.